Freelance Multimedia Reporter
Based in San Francisco, CA | August 2006–present
- Report and compose stories on a range of topics in the Bay Area and abroad.
- Media include text, photography, and audio gathering and editing (specific skills outlined below).
- Outlets include California Magazine, Dwell, Wired, Frontline/World, the New York Times Magazine. Examples can be seen HERE
Freelance Magazine and Documentary Researcher
San Francisco, CA | April 2009–present
- As a documentary researcher, I contribute to projects during preproduction and production by providing historical research and analysis and/or identifying and interviewing sources.
- Completed films include Ron Howard’s official Beatles documentary Eight Days a Week and David Gelb’s Ford Mustang documentary A Faster Horse.
- At Wired, I fact-check and perform research and reporting for articles in every section of the magazine. Topics I’ve worked on include how to create biologically “flipped” life-forms, what’s inside dozens of household products, the pitfalls of a Facebook IPO, the evolution of dogs, and the AK-47.
- I work closely with designers and editors and in the process have gained a deep understanding about the planning and production of a major national magazine.
- I have also factchecked a handful of books, including Jon Mooallem’s Wild Ones: A Sometimes Dismaying, Weirdly Reassuring Story About Looking at People Looking at Animals in America, Senator Kirsten Gillibrand’s Off the Sidelines: Raise Your Voice, Change the World, and Patrick Di Justo’s This Is What You Just Put in Your Mouth?: From Eggnog to Beef Jerky, the Surprising Secrets of What’s Inside Everyday Products.
Tutorial Writer/Teaching Assistant, Knight Digital Media Center
UC Berkeley | May 2007–March 2010
- Trained mid-career journalists from around the country at week-long workshops to learn the tools of online storytelling and how best to use them. Skills include reporting using video and audio; building web sites; designing with Flash; editing audio, video, and photographs; and web-casting.
- Helped train new students in field reporting at their introductory “multimedia bootcamps.”
- Formulated and composed tutorials on how to podcast and how to geotag photos.
Contributor, China Digital Times
December 2007–July 2008
- Composed posts highlighting notable stories and resources available online in English as they pertain to China. CDT is an important, high-traffic resource for both aggregating English-language media on China (my contribution) and translating original documents from Chinese into English. This opportunity stemmed from my own reporting experiences in China.
Research Intern, Wired Magazine
San Francisco, CA | June 2007–July 2007
- Fact-checked a variety of articles, mainly back-of-the-book items and several entries from the “Geekipedia” special issue.
Associate Editor and Designer, Sierra Club
San Francisco, CA | March 2005–August 2006
- Wrote and edited environmental and political stories and interviews for the web site and publications including the Planet, a national newsletter with a circulation of 30,000.
- Designed the layout and graphics of the Planet as well a numerous other publications and materials.
Grant Proposal Writer and Editor, Sierra Club
San Francisco, CA | January 2004–March 2005
- Edited and analyzed grant proposals and foundation reports as part of a four-person grant writing team that raised more than $4.7 million in 2004. Composed, edited, and formatted informational program brochures for distribution to potential donors.
Webmaster, Designer, and Outreach Coordinator, U.S. Geological Survey
Menlo Park, CA | February 2002–December 2003
- Designed and developed the original North America Tapestry of Time and Terrain web site, companion to a major shaded relief map of North American geology.
- Wrote articles explaining various geological features across the continent.
- Created illustrations and photo composites for UC Press book on Napa Valley geology, The Winemaker’s Dance.
Co-Founder and Editor-in-Chief, Dartmouth Undergraduate Journal of Science
Hanover, NH | December 1998–June 2001
- Established a science magazine and worked closely with authors, faculty, and editors to ensure high quality content and design.
- Planned budgets, wrote grant applications, raised funds, and helped develop the original web site. The magazine has published continuously since 1998.
- Investigated geologic questions using argon-40/argon-39 spectrometry dating technique.
University of California, Berkeley, Graduate School of Journalism, Berkeley, CA
Masters, Journalism, May 2008
Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH
Bachelor of Arts, Earth Sciences, cum laude, high honors, 2001
- Earth Sciences Foreign Study Program (the “Stretch”) Fall 1999: Strenous mobile field course. Subjects included field mapping, water chemistry, geomorphology, seismology and geophysics, vulcanology, and mining geology. Field sites include the Bighorn Basin, Wyoming; Yellowstone National Park; Jackson, Wyoming; Dinosaur National Monument, Utah; Arches National Park, Utah; Grand Canyon National Park, Arizona; Lake Mead, Nevada; Death Valley, California; Arenal, Costa Rica; Quepos, Costa Rica; Guanajuato, Mexico; Colima, Mexico; Fresnillo, Mexico.
- Knight Award for Best Piece of Narrative Journalism on A Science or Environmental Subject for “China: Green Dreams,” 2008
- Frontline/World Fellowship, 2007
- Mark Felt Scholarship in Investigative Journalism, 2007-2008
- Susan Meiselas Award for Excellence in Photojournalism for “Boom Times,” 2007
- Foreign Language and Area Studies Fellowship, UC Berkeley, 2006-2007
- Ebers Award for Most Outstanding Senior Earth Sciences Major, Dartmouth College, 2001
- Alumni Fund Scholar, 2000
- Richter Honors Thesis Grant, 2000
- Estwing Award for Contribution by a Junior to the Earth Sciences Department, 2000
- Reporting, writing, and interviewing
- Languages: Basic Korean, Spanish, and some sehr schlecht German
- Audio recording (mainly with Marantz PMD 660 and Sony PCM D50)
- Audio editing with ProTools, Soundtrack Pro, and GarageBand
- Video recording (mainly Sony PD170, PD150, TRV11)
- Video editing with Final Cut Pro
- Photography, primarily digital SLR, Canon equipment
- Photo editing with Adobe Lightroom
- Web design (HTML and CSS) with Textmate and Dreamweaver
- Blogging and blog design with WordPress and associated PHP
- Illustration and photo work with Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator
- Slideshow composition with Flash, Soundslides, and FinalCut
- Publishing layout with QuarkXpress
- Comfortable with both Mac and Windows operating systems
It’s true. I was a Jeopardy! contestant.