This little news piece from 1981 is making the rounds. As the reporter notes, “this is only the first step in newspapers by computer”:
So many things to love here:
- the “estimated two to three thousand home computer owners in the Bay Area”
- the newspaper guy saying “and we’re not in it to make money. We’re probably not going to lose a lot, but we’re not going to make much either.”
- that the newspaper vendor is safe in his job, “for the moment”
- that the reporter could be seen as believing it’s just the vendor who has to be worried
- or maybe just that these two minutes of reportage, seen from a contemporary perspective, are shot through with a dreadful kind of irony.
Welcome to the future.